"Who's got the bigger ...", Indian edition

No, I meant the actual city where @professor_Oak resides.
And I was referring to this

Though I don’t like the idea of daily missions very much, it’s still a little good. Oak’s city is a hot and humid place so it was a poetic device (I can’t remember what they do call it) to tell that this idea is not very good, but not even very bad.

Hi

Hello

If you two are friends and he’d appreciate that kind of comment then go ahead, otherwise I don’t think it’s appropriate to be referencing where someone else lives in a public forum. That’s up to them whether they share it and in this context there was no need to bring it up. It wasn’t even for a polite joke.

Any comments like that in the future will be removed.

2 Likes

Hmm, I don’t thinking it wasn’t polite and completely understand the privacy aspect so didn’t name the city here. And I also am sure that @Professor_Oak took that in a good way.

1 Like

WTF… my city is waaaaay cooler than north… We thrive here… And dont worry , i dint tak it personally.

No, temperature in my city goes to 1-2 degrees on average winter nights. And sometimes even below 0 in this region. While in your City, it’s never less than 15-16 degrees, which is still there in nights in my city.
YOUR CITY IS HOT (though not hotter than Bastia).

2 Likes

Oh thats not a good thing actually… Temperature must remain at a minimum variation throughout the day and the night for any healthy city or if not situated near a coast line. Else, its a clear indication of air pollution. That sudden fall in temperature at night is also a characteristic of desert like ecosystem in a land-locked geography. On a more serious note, North should work towards fixing the high pollution crisis.

1 Like

I agree that some cities in North are super polluted like New Delhi (the most polluted national capital) and Gurgaon (one of the most polluted cities of India) but at the same time, most areas like North East, Kashmir, Ladakh, Himachal and Punjab and Rajasthan have minimal pollution, contrasting to Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad etc. And also, Chandigarh is titled the “Best city to live in” according to BBC. And there’s actually a forest inside Chandigarh, needless to say that there’s double the land covered in greenery than permanent structures and roads and also no building at all which is higher than 3 floors (including ground). And a hill station getaway not farther than 30 kilometres with Shivalik Hills of the Himalayan range visible from most houses of the city.

@Killerdog , I agree this is offtopic. You can delete it once @professor_Oak reads and likes it (to tell he read it).

1 Like

Guys in America: “My car goes faster than your car”.
Guys in India: “My city is less polluted than your city”.

Sorry, what? I thought that air pollution traps in the heat and keeps the temperature more stable (as well as higher in general)… so a stable temperature is more of an indicator that a city is heavily polluted. Being by the sea (primarily if the wind is coming in from the sea) tends to keep temperature more stable too, which I think is contradictory to what you’re saying.

From looking it up just now…
Chandigarh in winter has average temperatures ranging 7-19C between night and day, 27-39C in summer.
Bengaluru in winter is 15-27C and in “summer” (April) is 22-36C.

I.e. Both cities have a similar difference between night and day. Chandigarh has a bigger difference between summer and winter because it’s further away from the equator. There’s no “desert-like ecosystem” going on here.

2 Likes

Air flow between sea and land switches directions between day and night.
Reason : Differential heating of land and sea by sun . Land heats up faster than water during daytime and creates a low pressure atmosphete over it and air flows from sea to land during day .

During night , land cools faster than water and creates a dense atmosphere resulting in high pressure . So air flows from land to sea during night . Pressure gradient and sun play an important role here.

Pollution and global warming intensify this effect by manifolds . So the fluctuation is very high nearby seashore .

I was pointing out to Delhi . He got it so he brought an exception into argument .

It’s alright … don’t take it personally .

PS : Rankings are always skewed towards government provided data. No international NGO or organisation ranks anything by their “own” survey . There is always an enormous amount of missing data and ** in any data sheet .

The reason I pointed out this is cos of this :

In North India * . None of the reports say it’s the best city in all of India . Peoole always see first and conveniently ignore rest of the report :sweat_smile::joy:
Unfortunately the missing data is related to south . I choose to believe it’s just an unfortunate coincidence and not a faulty govt decision or something . I guess .

It would be nice if people discussed these stuffs and good climate practices from their countries instead of monsters lol. So I encourage people to discuss these stuff if mods are okay with it .

1 Like

People misunderstand desert or subconsciously imagine Sahara or thar desert . By international definitions , desert is any ecosystem with < 25cm annual rainfall , very high daytime temperature , very low night time temp , barely any vegetation . Sadly some regions in my country are becoming worse day by day :cry:

:joy::joy: Kind of true there !

1 Like

Sorry you’re completely right about the sea breeze switching direction. Ignore my bit in the brackets (that I added later because I forgot about sea/land breezes). However, its effect on the temperature is the opposite to what I think you’re saying.

Basically, the sea keeps the land cooler during the day and warmer during the night. It stabilises the temperature with its own, relatively unmoving, temperature.

As for air pollution’s role in all this… I don’t know. It depends on whether it traps the warm air, preventing it from rising so easily during the day. If it does then there’s probably less of a pressure gradient between the land and see, hence it gets cooled less during the day and heats up more like you get away from the coast. At night it may then remain warmer due to the trapped air too, depending on how much it traps it. However, if it doesn’t trap the warm air then it could just act like it normally does at the coast just with all temperature increased a bit, particularly at day maybe when it heats up more from the sun.

I shall read a bit more on this topic and confirm then .

And lol , the thread name

Panchkula, Jalandhar, Mohali, Rajpura, Gurdaspur, Amritsar…

5 Likes

Ow That’s true too haha

Indian moves: “We gotta save the world”

Their greatest superhero:
giphy-downsized-medium

3 Likes

Oh ye shake em all !