Forum integrity

Yesterday there was a topic about the festival eggs that is now, unfortunately, deleted.

I think its important for everyone to be able to share their opinion on the forum, whether the devs like their opinion or not (freedom of speech). When a topic is going in the wrong direction, locking the topic could be a possibility. Deleting a topic however should in my opinion only be used for spam or for forbidden content (18+ content ie).

I think deleting a topic, only because the devs don’t agree on the opinions that are being aired, is a way of manipulating the information that is available to the people on the forums, and is therefore hurting the integrity of the forum and game as a whole.

What are your thoughts on this?

Huh? I didn’t realize a topic was deleted. Maybe they did it, because there was another topic about the festival egg.

There is a topic about why it was deleted here: http://www.hunterislandforum.com/index.php/topic/17585-the-festival-topic-from-earlier-disappeared/ .

It is simply because they thought opinions were going in the negative direction. Which in my opinion is not a reason to delete a topic, only to lock it.

it´s over, the way this community gets treated is just wrong but nothing we can do about it.

Totally agreed

i agree,the last festival eggs were a joke,i saw so many people opening 10 in 1 and always epic monsters and SE dupes, and when we say our opinion they delete it,SHAME SHAME SHAME :bell::bell::bell:

Tyler said that in chat they rolled about 1000 eggs. At first they were really unlucky, but then it stablized.

Just to clarify: The point of this thread is not to complain about the egg rolls. The point is to discuss whether deleting a thread is acceptable or whether it hurts the integrity of the forums and game.

Deleted? Yeh, that does indeed hurt the forum’s integrity.

Close the thread and good is. 

Hello everyone,

I accept the fact that deleting the thread instead of locking it was the wrong move. Consider this a short apology for handling it like that. It was a poor decision, but in no way was meant to suppress opinion. 

For the record, if you are under the impression that action was taken solely “because of increasingly negative activity”, which I did say, please understand that I originally deleted the posts that crossed the line, and it wasn’t until after their repeated spam responses to the action that the thread was deleted. 

I look forward to moving past these mistakes (on both sides), and carrying on with a peaceful forum.

It’s easier and probably better to apologize than to let the topic stay in forum for newer/other people to read. Don’t get me wrong just what i feel.

Didn’t see any claim button. 5 rare gems? :slight_smile:

“no way was meant to suppress opinion” - Then why deleted the thread instead of locking it?

“please understand that I originally deleted the posts that crossed the line” - Can you clarify on were we crossed the line. I mean there was no abusive words used against anybody. We were just discussing about something we mutually agreed on.

“carry on with a peaceful forum” - If the forum is only meant to praise the Devs, then do say so. And if it is, please remove me from the member list of this forum. I don’t want to be a part of a online community were Administrators play monopoly.

Well I did catch a glimpse of a delete-worthy comment and I can totally understand closing the thread when that behavior starts. But yeh, next time, close it while stating why and we’re good to go.

as a Mod I would probably say something more censored blabla bla… but I’m saying this as a player of this game

Have some respect for other people. You guys are crying like a bunch of kids about a chance event cause you spent your money on it… Nobody forces you spend a single cent on this game if you don’t want to. Moreover you know like anyone with common sense that chance means chance. Even if nobody that is reporting here gets a single legend that is very well within the boundaries of possibility.

Moreover you gotta factor in the fact that people that got unlucky with 300 or so eggs not hitting a legendary are more prone to post about how unlucky they are then people who got 1-2 legendaries within a small amount of gems. And hell they don’t need to compensate’. You’re lucky he apologized at all cause in my eyes there was no need for an apology from his side and even IF there was, normally an apology is met with an apology from the other side too instead of a cry-out for 5 free rare gems which by the way you could not care less about because the odds are not what they say they are anyway so why not ask them for a free legendary instead?

Seriously there’s no need for compensation. If someone has the guts to swallow his pride and to admit what he did was wrong, that he should not have removed a thread or whatever else it should be met with mutual respect not with a cry for free stuff like you all seem to be so fond of doing.

I explicitly chose not to participate in the ensuing flame war, as it seemed pointless. The sample size was too small, I assumed the devs were probably running tests of millions of trials in the background, but you can hardly expect them to have a full explanation within the first few hours of a thread like that. The thread was slowly moving towards and hinting at personal attacks, whether you like to admit it or not. Thus before it reached that point, the devs decided to be proactive and prematurely delete the thread. Although it had not yet reached the point of mandating a deletion, I wouldn’t be surprised if it reached that point leaving the thread open for the night.

Probably an early judgment call from the devs that was technically unjust, but the comments made in that thread were hardly of the redeeming quality for a proper discussion. The discussion should have stopped during the second page waiting for a dev response instead of the extra piles of “conspiracy theories” of what direction the devs were trying to push the game (a la Neo Monsters 2, dropping and running, and all those other ridiculous accusations).

Agree on this. All I wanted was to clear up and discuss when it is acceptable to delete a thread. I think we can now conclude that we all share the same opinion and this one thread should’t have been removed. I accept Tyler93’s apology. We are all human, we all make mistakes. 

This thread was not meant to be about complaining about eggs or requesting a compensation.

You can close this thread now.

And it’s also a damn good indication that the (regular) odds are terrible and it’s something to be considered. “You guys are crying like a bunch of kids” Yes, the sort of blanket statement you expect from the opposite of crying kids, a mature adult, I’m certain.

The way I see it this thread is going nowhere because it’s 2 problems combined into one, so let’s separate them out for a second.

Problem 1 was the deletion of the previous thread due to negativity. The backlash of this was because it was believed that the deletion was an attempt to hide complaints about the egg chances. This however is incorrrect, as stated by the devs themselves: the deletion was due to excessive amounts of spam and negativity going off topic. While I can agree that the decision to delete over lock was somewhat of a mistake, I don’t think it’s really fair to use that as an argument in an entirely different problem. 

Problem 2 is the chances of the egg itself. Aside from the obvious “it’s your choice to spend, it’s a gamble for a reason”, all of that, the question is whether it’s a case of false advertising in any way? The only reason I answer no is because of how the information was collected. First of all it was a relatively small sample size, and for those that think 650 is a large sample size consider that clinical trials are conducted on sample sizes of around 40,000 usually. Even if we take a sample size of 10,000 as 100% accurate (which is a pretty low bar to set), this sample size is about 6.5% accurate compared to that (as an estimate). Second of all is the way it was collected: the thread as I remember began with a statement that “the egg rate is bad, do you agree”, and this is already going to encourage people who did not get lucky to comment far more than people who did. Add to this the fact that negative emotion is a far more powerful inducer than positive, and you have a bunch of results that are inevitably going to be skewed.

So overall the only reason that this data is even being considered as true is because of it’s deletion, implying that it was supposed to be hidden for whatever reason. Separate the problems, understand the logic behind them, and you see that this is a lot of backlash coming from applying one problem to another and making it worse as a result. Examine the data from a factual standpoint and you realise it’s very unlikely to be accurate 

TL;DR Data is inaccurate, thread deleted because of spam not because of info. For reasons read whole thing

We cant change things, happened in the past and thats more than i ever expected. Simply locking the thread would have been the better way, but there is no need for compensation or anything. Yet i have to admit, that a few of my last posts were way too sarcastic and not helpful at all. So I’d also loke to apologize for these posts ive thrown at you.