Damage model concept

In our group right now there’s a general agreement that we are in the midst of a power creep. Each new monster is successively better than the ones before it. It’s not a direct upwards trend but compare monsters like taloknight and ultimadragon with ones like banedragon and penguinator. 

Now to a point I don’t mind this, it’s easier to just update older monsters than change everything (as the buffs to dolphin and SS clearly showed. BUT. The meta has become more and more ohko. It was always kind of snowbally with the TT and entrance speed mechanics but each monster seems to do more and more damage. You look at the heal all monsters, 6 months ago they were almost guaranteed spot 5. Now i don’t think anyone in the top 100 even considered putting them in, and that’s not because they have monsters that do the same job. It’s because there’s just too much damage to get any good value off of healing monsters. 

So recently I’ve been considering how to fix this problem. My initial idea is to just lower damage across the board, but then we get a whole host of problems like unkillable aegisdragon and legendary TT that always get bombs off. So I cam up with something a little different.

Right now general damage, or rather damage based of status effects, is king. The reason being that you have very little restriction on what you can kill. Well my theory is to reduce general damage by about half. Poison eater should be a 2 shot kill, dreamhunt should be a 2 shot kill. But that’s only half of it. To balance this out you increase the damage of _t__argeted _moves. Twinkiller gets buffed, Chrono killer, toxic killer, assassinate. Anything that functions as a counter to a specific mechanic. 

The effect of this is to make teams more diverse. Suddenly countering becomes a lot more important, building an effective team becomes a lot harder when you can’t apply the same strategy to many different teams. Heal all suddenly becomes relevant again when you are actually able to heal your important monsters. It does also kinda push the game towards f2p since a lot of these monsters are freely obtainable, but certainly being able to deal general damage would be a vital part of a team. It just puts more emphasis on the counterplay is all. 

I can see you’re worried about the problems with just changing stuff. It’s a big change after all, I know. BUT. You have the perfect testing ground already. Pvp exhibition is already a  place where you change the rules, why not make it a place to try out some balance changes? If they don’t work then you don’t lose anything after all, and if they do you gain a lot. 

I think it’s worth a look at least.

In our group right now there’s a general agreement that we are in the midst of a power creep. Each new monster is successively better than the ones before it. It’s not a direct upwards trend but compare monsters like taloknight and ultimadragon with ones like banedragon and penguinator. 

Now to a point I don’t mind this, it’s easier to just update older monsters than change everything (as the buffs to dolphin and SS clearly showed. BUT. The meta has become more and more ohko. It was always kind of snowbally with the TT and entrance speed mechanics but each monster seems to do more and more damage. You look at the heal all monsters, 6 months ago they were almost guaranteed spot 5. Now i don’t think anyone in the top 100 even considered putting them in, and that’s not because they have monsters that do the same job. It’s because there’s just too much damage to get any good value off of healing monsters. 

So recently I’ve been considering how to fix this problem. My initial idea is to just lower damage across the board, but then we get a whole host of problems like unkillable aegisdragon and legendary TT that always get bombs off. So I cam up with something a little different.

Right now general damage, or rather damage based of status effects, is king. The reason being that you have very little restriction on what you can kill. Well my theory is to reduce general damage by about half. Poison eater should be a 2 shot kill, dreamhunt should be a 2 shot kill. But that’s only half of it. To balance this out you increase the damage of _t__argeted _moves. Twinkiller gets buffed, Chrono killer, toxic killer, assassinate. Anything that functions as a counter to a specific mechanic. 

The effect of this is to make teams more diverse. Suddenly countering becomes a lot more important, building an effective team becomes a lot harder when you can’t apply the same strategy to many different teams. Heal all suddenly becomes relevant again when you are actually able to heal your important monsters. It does also kinda push the game towards f2p since a lot of these monsters are freely obtainable, but certainly being able to deal general damage would be a vital part of a team. It just puts more emphasis on the counterplay is all. 

I can see you’re worried about the problems with just changing stuff. It’s a big change after all, I know. BUT. You have the perfect testing ground already. Pvp exhibition is already a  place where you change the rules, why not make it a place to try out some balance changes? If they don’t work then you don’t lose anything after all, and if they do you gain a lot. 

I think it’s worth a look at least.

This is some ambitious proposal to say the least, they can´t even gather their **** together and write a weekly update as promised and you come up with a full rework of the core mechanics of the game. Not saying they are good or bad but I doubt something so big will happen any soon. Just think how much that would actually change, all PvE events would need to be adjusted. It would be like a new game from scratch.

Alright, here’s my solution to that problem, and another one as well- revive the assisted lines. Buff Cryokaizer and Sanctallion. Show fire and dark some love. Maybe even give it to the remaing 2 first ones. (And regarding the second one, Solblaze doesn’t count since everyone just uses faststrike anyway.) Assist was supposed to be up there with poison, stun and sleep, but clearly that isn’t the case. Nobody ever runs assisted teams anymore, and the ones that do show up are really easily taken care of. The devs have put off his issue for far too long if you ask me.

Adding more assist monsters wouldn’t solve the problem of they being useless in PvP , Just at least make the SE assist monsters faster, that should at least get half the job done.

I honestly think it would be a great idea but can’t see it happening. They can’t even keep up with writing on the forum once a week so this could be a big ask

This. The Idea is great and would add so much value to the game but since they are resistant against any form of good ideas or advice it will never happen. Like Saul said, theyre not even able to post ONCE A FREAKIN week on the forum. +1 for the tags by the way :smiley:

Really like this idea…
Itll make pve harder though

I think pvp right now is good in my opinion aside from some monsters that need balancing.
I also agree with buffing old stuff and assisted.
I think next pvp should be something like no GT/TT, that would be a real pvp event