Neo Monsters Best legendaries

For anyone reading this now, this list is out of date and I never finished it. There are much better threads linked from my title thread "Killerdog's Guides". Go check that out instead of reading this!

Preface

A friend of mine joined the game quite recently. He’s a hardcore gamer who is happy to fork out some money to boost his progress or be “in with the greats” if that’s what it takes. So naturally he wanted to know which particular legendaries were good ones to have. I decided to write a list of the best legendaries, in my opinion, and where they stand out as well as a brief insight into the general combat of this game. I’m sure many of you will disagree with my list and have your own opinion but I thought it would be good to share this with everyone and keep it updated over time as more legendaries get added.

I’m fully aware there is already a tier list on the forum. However, that thread describes the strength of monsters in the “current meta” and is regularly altered by recent additions or which monsters are being used a lot by people at the moment. While this is great, I prefer to look at monsters as a whole so their ratings only change if a significant number of counters are made that they simply aren’t as effective with their uses or there are much better options. I also believe that the tier list is partially skewed by the players who give the most contribution to it. To me it feels like certain strategies are given more credit than others which are equally viable. This may just be because of the heavy focus on PvP, but that’s my impression. My list will be incredibly bias too but by looking at a combination of the two you should have a great idea overall.

Anyway, on with the real content of this thread!! …

The categories

In Neo Monsters there are roughly three categories:

• General PvE

• PvP

• UC

In PvP no monsters are buffed and we all play with 16 monsters. This means there are one-shots everywhere and certain strategies really help out like stunning gives you lots more time to keep killing things with your one-shots. It’s mostly about who has the turns, which is why Team Turn monsters are pretty insane. There is also no ability to “skip” since if someone skips back then you’re forced to use a move. This ruins some monsters and gives a good use for low TU moves to pass time.

In general PvE we often fight against teams with 20 or 24 monsters in them and they’re all buffed a bit. This makes a lot of monsters’ moves become two-three shot kill and in many cases renders them quite useless compared to others. Since you can use “skip” there are loads of strategies you can pull off a lot more successfully. Basically, a good PvE team is about controlling the field and that’s where all the tactics come in. You may hear the term “sleep lock”, this is one such strategy which is very effective as the AI does not handle it well. Additionally, any monsters which can duplicate themselves or others typically do best in a PvE setting because the AI doesn’t shut them down as well as a player would.

It’s very important to learn the movesets of monsters and how the AI plays them. Once it becomes predictable for you then gaining control of the battle will be far easier.

In UC (ultimate challenge) we face teams that are super buffed and have 16 monsters. Here, many strategies go out the window and what you’re looking at is making a team which can take down more monsters than it loses. This requires very specific monsters.

More recently the game developers have been creating varied scenarios outside of these three categories. Things like single-element focused battles and facing opponents with a huge number of unbuffed monsters. If any of these differ too much from “general PvE” then I will add them as an additional section.

The list

What I’m going to list here (in alphabetical order) is the best overall legendaries and rate them for each category on a scale of:

S, A, B, C, D, E

Legendary:   General PvE - PvP - UC

Atrahasis:   S - A - S

PvE = S, PvP = A, UC = S, wikia link

Aurodragon:   S - B - S

PvE = S, PvP = B, UC = S, wikia link

Banedragon:   A - S - D

PvE = A, PvP = S, UC = D, wikia link

Celestrion / Cybereon / Nightlord:   A - S - D

Delugazar:   S - S - A

PvE = S, PvP = S, UC = A, wikia link

Doomengine:   S - B - B

PvE = S, PvP = B, UC = B, wikia link

Galliodragon:   S - A - B

PvE = S, PvP = A, UC = B, wikia link

Geartyrant:   A - B - S

PvE = A, PvP = B, UC = S, wikia link

Geomagnus:   A - S - B

PvE = A, PvP = S, UC = B, wikia link

Goldtail:   S - B - S

PvE = S, PvP = B, UC = S, wikia link

Hellfox:   A/B - S - A

PvE = A/B, PvP = S, UC = A, wikia link

Lavaronix / Mechaviathan:   A - S - D

PvE = A, PvP = S, UC = D, Lava wikia link, Mecha wikia link

Leogeist:   A - S - D

PvE = A, PvP = S, UC = D, wikia link

Motordragon:   A - S - B

PvE = A, PvP = S, UC = B, wikia link

Raizen:   S - S - D

PvE = S, PvP = S, UC = D, wikia link

Revenarchion:   S - A - D

PvE = S, PvP = A, UC = D, wikia link

Shivadragon:   S - A - S

Soulstealer:   S - A - S

Stratustrike:   S - S - C

[spoiler]PvE = S, PvP = S, UC = C, wikia link

This is a monster with everything built in. High speed with one-on-one to put almost everyone to sleep and pass time until double survivor is charged. It’s got protect self, hold ground and second wind to keep itself alive against the opponent’s monster or if one-on-one fails to work as intended. The stun immunity means that it’s incredibly hard for the opponent to stop the one-on-one from happening when it first enters as well as meaning it is an excellent sweeper with double survivor. However, it has two huge downfalls: it can’t deal much damage without double survivor charged and it relies on the skill one-on-one which won’t work if your opponents are poisoned, stealthed, sleep immune or if the monster it misses has purify/dreamhunt. Additionally, double survivor is not a one-shot against tough enemies in PvE and killing two enemies at once can risk putting your team in a bad position. So Stratustrike may be an incredible stand-alone monster but it is not always a team player.

Since Stratustrike is a full package it’s quite simple to come up with monsters to combine with it. It works well as a quick one-on-one to have in your front line alongside survivor monsters, megabomb monsters or sleep immune ones like Jackalhotep and Bunkerbeast. However, due to its high speed it is just as reliable to use in the mid-late game and you can pull off interesting setups like using monsters which poison your team in order to avoid putting teammates to sleep. Wherever you’re using Stratustrike it’s important to remember it needs time before being useful as a damage dealer so it’s best suited with monsters that don’t sweep the whole field before Stratustrike is ready.

Stratustrike excels in both PvE and PvP, as a sweeper that is tough to kill and fairly reliable setup. In buffed PvE content it can’t kill enemies quite so effectively but is generally more reliable for setting up other monsters and your team in general with the one-on-one so it still deserves an S rating. In UC it is not effective as others but has minor use as a quick one-on-one, that can be used to set up other strategies.[/spoiler]

Tenebris:   S - B - D

PvE = S, PvP = B, UC = D, wikia link

The Penguinator:   S - S - D

PvE = S, PvP = S, UC = D, wikia link

Utopian:   S - S - B

PvE = S, PvP = S, UC = B, wikia link

Wraithcaptain:   S - B - A

PvE = S, PvP = B, UC = A, wikia link

Wraithhost:   S - S - D

PvE = S, PvP = S, UC = D, wikia link

So that’s my list of the best ones. Some others are exceptionally good in certain situations and many do much better in combination with certain other ones (e.g. Hellfox + Ziberius or Stratustrike + Chronotitan). Many legendaries can have good use but those ones listed are either the best all-round ones or brilliant in their field, e.g. Goldtail PvE. A personal favourite of mine which isn’t on the list is Terragar. I took him off because I rated him A - A - D, no S in any category. Geartyrant has no S in either PvE or PVP but he is one of the best for UC and the only reason why he isn’t S is because he requires a good sleep setup to really shine, which you won’t necessarily have.

Note:

You’ll notice this is very different to the tier list thread. Everyone has knowledge of only a limited selection and those may not suit their style so there are always many opinions. This here is just my opinion, but I’m open to the idea of changes if I hear sound arguments.

Any input is welcome! But please be aware I wanted this list to be as short as possible. I’ve managed to make it only 25, despite there being a huge number of legendaries which stand out.

Special mentions

This is currently just a list of monsters I want to make mentions on:

• Emeraldeus

• Chromera

• Albakhan

• Shadowhunter / Stormloch

1 Like

Well you see, the tier list originally dealt with that issue with a pvp list and a general(pve) list, but it kind of feels like the general list got abandoned since people seem more focused on pvp. Or maybe because monsters are much more likely to shift around in pvp than pve. If you’d like, you can talk to Buck about it, and possibly collaborate on making a definitive and universal tier system.

Geo is actually Useful in UC, I uses him everytime to set up my team… so A or B not D though

Initially the general section of the tier list was made to judge monsters in a vacuum i.e no support or strategy around them. The reasoning being if someone just gets a legend it’s a quick glance at how good it roughly is.

I did initially have a pve tier list but it varies so wildly between different events that you end up almost having a separate list for each event, hence why it’s been condensed into what you see now. Trust me when I say doing this sort of thing is no small task, it may not look it but the original post on the tier list is nearly an entire forum page long now. Having more than 2 lists is going to be VERY difficult to keep updated.

I will also say the pvp side is skewed in a sense, but not so much due to the contributors as the strategies used. A lot of the info comes from the top 150 ish players in the game and thus the meta strategies tend to be the ones the majority of those players are using. That doesn’t mean that other strategies aren’t viable, but it does mean that you are far more likely to lose if you use them instead of meta ones.

It’s more like the pvp meta shifts a lot but the pve meta doesn’t. Often monsters that are good just stay good, because it’s not like the ai will actively counter them.

That being said I’m open to ideas, as luc said the general list had been left in the dust since everyone seems to only care for PvP so ideas to bring that back into the foreground are more than welcome

I would add chrome and icefang to the S list for pvp. You cant look away from a good old roaring entrance (moji op)

No emeraldues can’t belive you have done that
Emerald is the BEST UC MONSTER EVEEEEEEEER

Also sorry but Buck’s list>>>>> as he repsect emerald alot

You give Wraithhost to much credit imo. Beside novablast, it doesnt give you anything special in pve (and warca/bazil do it better with bloodthirst later. Survivor damage is bad at pve). And for pvp its nice but far from S, it aint changing the meta- just good at surviving long with some low damaging moves

where’s revenarchion ???

Edit: Nevermind I found him on the list.

Yes very good point. I think I brushed over this too quickly thinking he was just an easy to charge bloodfury with stun immunity and the extra addition of a pull back if you have that unlocked. I’ll bump him up to A or B.

In a way you said exactly what I was getting at there, that it’s top 150-ish players who create the meta strategies and you basically need to make a team which can combat them or you’ll forever be out of the major leagues. The result of this is that viable strategies which don’t combat the current meta are not given enough credit and are easily overlooked by everyone giving input into the tier list.

Before I talk about any collaboration I want to explain my position. I’ve been writing game guides for as long as I can remember… I think I wrote my first when I was 8 years old. I’ve always been a bit of a lone wolf doing it, wanting to do my own thing. That’s worked out well for the game forum I moderate called “KingsRoad” where basically no one else was writing guides so I’ve completely monopolised the scene (made easier by my access to the Dev’s test environment to get all the numbers I want) and now have 30+ guides I think. I do not want to upset anyone here by saying something like “hey this is my thing”, I’d like to blend into what’s already going on.

What I mean by that is I do not want to replace or alter the current tier list thread and my hope was to run this as an alternate type of thing. Then we’ll have:

1. Neo Monsters current tier list
  • a rough guide for how much use each monster has in PvE

• a “current” tier rating for each monster in PvP

1. Best legendary monsters
  • The top ~25 legendaries for general use or brilliant in a particular field

• Analysis on each one and why it’s so good / how to use it

• Maybe a section with some honourable mentions of ones with great uses?

That way we’ll have (1) as a nice place for people to go check out ANY legendary and where it stands in PvE as well as if it’s a good one to use in PvP. This tier list will also be good for people checking out what monsters the best PvP strategies are using. Then we’ll have (2) as a place for people to check out which legendaries are the best ones in the game and why. It will be more generically written so bring to light some of the monsters that maybe aren’t being used right now in PvP but have potential. Also, the analysis on the small number of legendaries will make it unique compared to the tier list which is more focused on identifying where each legendary stands (there are too many to add comments). Many people who get a legendary immediately want to know if it’s a good one, which the tier list does perfectly. But there are also people who want to know which are the best legendaries out there, which hopefully my thread will answer.

So how does that sound? Obviously I would be the initial writer of the analysis on these monsters then people can give input on extra strategies which they’ve found the monsters are good for and maybe identify which are the best uses of the monster as opposed to secondary uses.

Hehe this is a monster I really need to use more. Sadly I haven’t pulled him. The reason why I didn’t feature him on this list is to use him effectively in PvP I believe you would need a protector set up, the only times I’ve seen him used well is in a front line against my one-on-one strategy. I rarely see him used in PvP so that tells me he doesn’t do much there. As for general PvE I can see him being great but he’s slow to get his first turn then a further 200s before the first kill probably means you’ve got to run him alongside an effective sleep/stun team or maybe, again, protect him. After that his camouflage + bloodfury is a great combo but I don’t think he makes it into the top 25 from general PvE or PvP. He might score an A/B in general PvE like Hellfox but even so he’s too slow in my opinion. However, there’s no doubting how incredible he is for UC. He’d definitely be a monster I’d put into “honourable mentions” for this.

With regards to Chrome and Icefang I’m not sure if you’re talking about the tier list thread or this one. On the whole these monsters aren’t among the top 25 despite them being very useful in PvP. Chrome might possibly be close, but he gets horribly stuck on protectors so even in a PvP setting he is not particularly reliable. Icefang similarly is not reliable.

I know I love Wraithhost a lot, but it’s because of how solid it is. It consistently gets moves that deal quite decent damage as well as being able to heal itself. The stun immunity is the real clincher for me. As a heavy user of Bazilogon I would have to say Wraithhost is far better, especially in PvP, because of the passives stun immunity and hold ground. Put it in with one-on-one and it’s incredibly hard to stop a survivor and novablast coming, especially if you have a good line up of monsters to go with it. Survivor in PvE doesn’t one-shot but it’s strong and with 80TU, stun immunity and desperate bite to heal up this monster has a lot to give besides the novablast. Many times my Bazilogon will simply get stunned or killed too easily, especially if I start sweeping with double survivor before using the novablast.

I would consider bringing Wraithhost down to A for PvP but currently I think it’s being underused. I hope many start trying it out more now that one-on-one has become a meta front line strategy. Wraithhost has a lot to give to a team and never becomes dead weight on the field.

Just remember that these lists are relative. Lots of strategies are viable in a vacuum, the trick is measuring them against each other. But anyway.

If you want my honest opinion, I’d rather change the current pinned tier list into PvP only and then give you free reign on organising the PvE lists however you choose. Right now the PvE list is more of a side thing than an actual list so to bring it into the foreground would work. If you’d rather just do some pieces on individual monsters then we can make that work too. 

The only thing I will say is that you will need to format it much better, but I can help out with that. If you want a base to work off then I can copy the original PvE list and paste it in a PM to you to get you started. Otherwise I can edit the posts to give you a hand (though unless you post something against the rules i’ll ask permission first).

Only thing is there are a couple requirements if we do this. One is that you need to account for EVERY legendary. Not just the good ones. It’s fine saying which ones are good and why but you need to provide the converse arguments, which ones are bad and why. Two is that it needs to be updated regularly. How or when is up to you, but don’t underestimate the work that goes into it. 

Do both of those and I’ll do everything I can to make it work. And by everything I mean everything. I’ve played this game for a looong time, pioneered several of the “viable non-meta” teams you’ve probably come against and know more or less everything there is to know both mechanically and strategically about this game. You don’t have to take my advice ofc, it’s up to you, but i’ll leave it on the table in case you need it.

TL;DR you do PvE lists etc, I make it look nice and pin etc.

We’re talking about two very different things and, in a way, it’s like you’re trying to turn my thread into an offshoot of your own so you don’t have to do PvE for yours. Your thread is a list of where each monster stands in a PvE and PvP setting against the others, with the PvP tier list being how good they are in the current best strategies being used. My thread is a list of the best monsters to have in general, spanning both PvE and PvP (giving equal weighting to each). Mine isn’t a thread to look at which are good for different things, it’s to identify which are literally the best ones to have on your account.

I don’t want to list every single monster, I want to focus the attention on a select few. That is also how this will be easier to maintain. There’s no way I want to do detailed PvE analysis for all the legendaries in the game… that will be a whole lot of rubbish nobody wants to read.

As for formatting, I have no issue with that. This thread was literally a copy and paste from the Facebook messenger chat where I wrote it, with a bit of bold thrown in and re-wording some bits. I mean the legendaries aren’t even ordered alphabetically!

So, do you know what it is I’m hoping for? My hope is to have the guides:

1. PvE and PvP tier list of ALL monsters (continued as you are)

2. Top 25 legendaries to own (with some analysis on each one for what makes it good)

3. Limited time events tips (an overview of each type of event which comes out with the best strategies and monsters to use)

(2) is what I’ve got the basis for written here. (3) is what I hope to write fairly soon, depends if I feel inspired to write this Neo Monsters guide or some KingsRoad guide first.

Black beast (Delugazer) Is very useful in UC it Should be S S S

You could do a side topic regarding synergies if there are any of note ever or include synergies within this list above for the specified monster.

Ah I get you, you’re gonna take into account performance over all events and then combine that into an overall ranking, then list the top 25 and why. As far as I can see anyway.

Also sorry if I came across as intrusive, this is your thread and your idea after all so I get why you want it your way. Didn’t mean to try and turn it into my thread, I just thought you wanted to take part of the tier list over (hence the stipulations XD)

Alsooo I dunno why but it feels like you’re asking permission to write this. You don’t need it, I’ll most likely pin this thread anyway once it’s finished so don’t worry.

EDIT: I can’t read apparently XD 

I was thinking this exact thing when I was working on the guide a bit more today. I’ll review the UC rankings again. I’ve already altered a couple. Tbh the original write-up of the list was done in about 10 minutes and UC was mostly “okay so what can this monster actually do in there”. Delugazar can be used very effectively as demonstrated by a couple of people last UC (you were one right?) but I’m not sure how much this has been tested and whether it’s S worthy. I’ll have a think, but considering how few could be given an S for UC Delugazar probably deserves it. Can you give me any insight for just how effective a Delugazar strategy is and how many monsters do you need to pull it off? (I.e. could you have a backup strategy fitted into the rest of your team)

Yup that’s exactly what I’m doing. No need to apologise, I see it was all just a misunderstanding. I was struggling to find the words to best explain what I was doing so I am just as much to blame. Not permission as such… more like explaining what I want to achieve and whether you think a slightly different angle would be a better approach as well as making sure I’m not simply duplicating what is already here on the forum. The word is approval, rather than permission.

When I’m done creating the guide I’ll probably write it as a new thread because I reckon it’ll need 2-3 posts to fit everything in. I should’ve thought about that originally! Also, I’ll probably change the topic title to something a little more fitting (and maybe ask you or another moderator to delete this thread so it doesn’t cause confusion).

What are your best PVP legendaries I’ve just started and I’ve got 4 ultra evolved legendaries!

@7869 Kindly take note of the date of any thread you’re planning to comment on. Generally the rule of thumb is 1 month at most.

1 Like