Let’s talk about the Bastia nerf

If true, this feels like the Watergate of Neo.

Bastiagate

1 Like

@Dev_VKC
In a nutshell: This nerf has ruined Bastia. It went way too far and needs to be reconsidered.

It’s been clear from the very start that Bastia is a big design fail. I mean no offence to say that its power wasn’t understood when it was designed, time has shown how crazy it is and now literally every aspect of her moveset has been nerfed/removed apart from serene field! Serene field blocks the shield entrance which is totally silly. On release it won the game when you got a turn, but thankfully two moves were taken away (instant double repulse and survivor) which fixed that problem. Please humour me for a moment and let me explain a proper analysis of Bastia…

How Bastia works

The good:
She basically turns a winning position into a game win, if you have some sweepers around. By disabling some ways to come back (entrances), keeping your monsters alive and actively helping the control with knockback random there’s very little the opponent can do.

The bad:
In situations where you’re not winning, she’s good but nothing special.

There’s also the “hidden” team building aspect, that’s very noticeable when you own her: you can’t use entrances. Ultimately it means two things: you’re inherently at a disadvantage if she dies, you have fewer ways to make comebacks.

Side note:
She’s best in the front line. Low speed makes it very unreliable outside of it. Also, it’s particularly useful for disabling strong 5th/6th entrance passive monsters that are used a lot (a good thing I think).

Why this isn’t overpowered

So with “the bad” above, that’s what keeps her from being too overpowered. She is extremely strong and could turn any “locked out” strategy into a win more easily than anything else. However, a number of things can do that almost as well (e.g. stun protection + low TU sweeper). I don’t think she did it excessively and those “locked out” strategies are more likely the problem in these cases. If there’s a problem I think it’s either: her ability to create a winning scenario or her ability help control it too well.

Creating it:
She doesn’t do a huge amount for this because she’s very slow and all moves are 130TU+ so it takes a long time before she can do more than one move. If she can get to a second turn that’s usually a sign you’re set up to win. However, one move alone is not enough to swing the match (either knockback one enemy or heal+purify+shield the team - the stronger option).

Helping control it:
This is where she really does a great job. If it needs nerfing this way I understand, but right now it’s the big thing she does. Everything else does not seem like a problem and there’s significant downsides. Changing knockback random to random knockback completely ruins this aspect. Now she’s just a dumb healer.

Now for the proper (concise) feedback

I can understand her getting a nerf. She’s incredibly strong. However, it only needed to be a small one to bring her down a little. The same can be said of some of the other strongest mythics.

• Removing hold ground doesn’t fit the moveset and adding shield entrance is counter-intuitive because, as I said above, she is better built for the front line.
  • Making it randomly targeted knockback ruins her proactive capability, leaving her purely as a healer on the battlefield
  • Making it knockback to the end also ruins its ability to mess up enemy teams

I think a much better nerf would’ve been something like this (both):

• Knockback random 130TU → knockback 200TU (putting to the end of the team is worse)
  • Goddess’ blessing gets 100/150s restriction from start of battle

Doing this will make her do very little to help create a winning scenario and she’ll be worse at helping control it too.

Otherwise…
If the knockback change is reverted it’ll be fine, but right now she’s become a very mediocre mythic. She’d need a radical buff like for serene field to become one-sided to actually be very good again.

Thanks for reading. I know it was a lot! I’m obviously bias because I own her, but it also means I’ve had lots of insight into her both playing against her, analysing her over years and now building teams and playing with her. With the amount she’s been nerfed I would be defending her either way, and I fully agree that Bastia can/should be nerfed a bit and it would be better for the game.

7 Likes

Thank you for the feedbacks guys.

Yes. This is a joke on us. We are very embarrassed and sorry for what it happened. We have read through all the feedbacks and decided that instead of fixing Shield Entrance, we will give her Hold Ground back, but Random Knockback will stay.

This change will apply to the coming PvP immediately. Apologems will be issued with in game news soon.

We tweaked her skill because she is very oppressive in many setups and create terrible gaming experience for other users. We’ve been nerfing stun lock, sleep lock and token lock, and the Bastia setup falls into the same category. We changed her knockback random to give her less controlling power.

I am sorry again for the troubles and thank you for understanding.

15 Likes

I guess she’s just a pure healer now.

Why though? It’s the worst possible version of it, and she’s so very slow already. I’d be more accepting of random knockback random than that tbh, at least you can maybe mess up turn order while just pushing random enemies around wasting turns? But realistically why not just jack up the TU, like KD said to 160 or even 200 instead of essentially removing a skill slot?

2 Likes

Because doing anything realistic would make too much logical sense.

I have trouble believing that a player as knowledgable as KD would suggest putting an entrance passive on a monster who disables entrance passives

I think the devs figured Bastia new entrance would trigger before the field passive took effect.

That’s what you’re saying, don’t put words for me, say maybe Kd some suggested nerf, I didn’t say which ones :relaxed:

This seems pretty conclusive.

What specific nerf am I talking about there according to you?

Thanks a lot

The…entire subject of the thread?

dev,Are you working so early?

Hi, i am below 500 gems if possible can we get 5 gems as compensation.

1 Like

That’s a terrible choice on an awoken mythic.
I hope you’ll reconsider this and give her something useful (not necessarily a disruption move).

1 Like

Umm guys, it’s still S+ tier even with the random knockback move :roll_eyes:

Nah it’s probably now S.

1 Like

Link fire stands at top of all this. When are we gonna get some more tweaks there @Dev_VKC ?

We have just recently released Arcticlaws and Aoi as Fire counter. We will see how it goes. Please give it more time.

7 Likes