THE FORUM RULES HAVE CHANGED

It’s my honest believe we really tried to create enough attention for the topic but the last thing I want is to give the impression we wanted to secretly change the Rules.

So thanks to @NMEGaryOak for pointing out that most of you maybe didn’t notice it.

All I can say is: Check out the thread, read the rules. Criticize what you don’t like, file a complaint if you feel like it or leave a few nice words if you think we did a good Job.

3 Likes

Thank you @ItsSherlock I think the community needs to be aware of the changes because they are pretty drastic.

KD now has way too much power imo, a lot of the new rules give him power to instant ban you for things he has been previously criticized about.

Nothing I can do I guess, but I think the forum community should at least be aware

1 Like

Could you give an example?

These two are way too broad in their scope @ItsSherlock

1 Like

On a side note, I presume it goes without saying that moderators have to follow these rules or they are subject to the same disciplinary actions that regular forum members are?

Please confirm whether or not this is true.

Do you know if one day they ban me the forum, can I hire you as a lawyer?

1 Like

Interestingly 1.5 and 2.5 were heavily discussed between us moderators.

Referring to 2.5 I can say that we toned that one down as we only ask people to not do it. It’s not forbidden. We just want to avoid a situation where basically all the threads become discussions about moderator actions instead of talking about the game.

1.5 just wants to avoid leaking of DMs as it usually leads to heavily personal discussions. I mean there’s a reason someone sends you something in a DM instead of stating it publicly. We want to protect the rights of those who want to share information privately. Thats why we excluded game content because game content clearly isn’t a bit of personal information. I know you probably fear that this would allow moderators to give the weirdest explanations for bans or suspensions and you wouldn’t be allowed to make it public. But you can always message the devs or message other mods to raise awareness.

In general these rules also apply to moderators. However there are certain situations where moderators might have to act against a rule for the greater good. For example if there was a heated discussion and people get suspended Moderators should have the freedom to make their decisions transparent although technically that probably would violate the quoted rules.

If you feel strongly about those rules you can file a complaint @ComplaintOfficer. We we will review every rule that was subject to an official complaint.

2 Likes

a curious question 3.1.1 existed before or is new

It’s new

1 Like

Well, it’s a good rule, well thought

The reason i ask is because there are a few of these new rules I know a certain mod will certainly break based on their track record, which is ironic because you guys wrote these rules in the first place. I just want to make sure that everyone is held to the same standard, but based on that answer mods can do whatever they want :frowning:

In the interest of transparency, I heavily criticized 1.5 but it was not changed at all. Also, I don’t remember having a vote do you @ItsSherlock ?

I don’t mean that to cause division, I just want people to know who to direct questions to haha

1 Like

If I remember correctly you were heavily criticizing 2.5 and that’s why I changed that part from „not allowing“ to „asking not to do it“ which toned it down quite a bit. So its technically allowed but we still ask people to not do it. I am sorry if I changed the wrong rule but in my mind you were criticizing 2.5 the whole time.

Guesswhosback is right. You criticised 2.5, not 1.5 and if you intended to criticise 1.5 you didn’t state that at all. 2.5 was altered and 1.5 was left alone and you didn’t make any further contestations.

Interesting to see they’re the contentious points though.

@NMEGaryOak The forum rules apply from here on, not retroactively. I know we’ve butted heads a bunch of times and you’ve always wanted to make moderation issues hashed out in public, so I know those two rules will need a change from you.

Btw I’ve globally pinned the other “forum rules have been updated” for 6 weeks (until end of January) so hopefully it will be easier to find. I intended to do that at the time but forgot.

A mod should be able to refute criticisms in public easily if they don’t have anything to hide. It’s a shame that the new rules let you silence anyone who criticizes mods publicly, it’s too much power imo

1 Like

Not at all. The rules let moderators handle situations where someone has had action taken against them and they want to create an excessive fuss about it in public. General criticism is not disallowed.

As for this bit… it’s wonderful to think that, except the people who need action taken against them are also the people who will aggressively dispute things and keep trying to spin things in every way they can to give moderators a very hard time, even when the action was completely justified. The fact is, it’s not easy when you have a difficult person trying hard to make it difficult.

We will see…

Can I quote this conversation in the future @Killerdog or will you ban me for quoting something you actually said :joy:

When these rules were being put together we were very hopeful that community members wouldn’t try hard to find loopholes or find any angle to bring down moderators. The rules are the most transparent way we could explain how the moderators and community can work in unity to have a nice place for us all here. Please don’t make any of this difficult.

2 Likes

I can’t support this enough. Actually these rules put users in a better position than ever before. 4.1.7 is a great example of giving forum users tools at hand to defend themselves against abuse of power.