Forum Questions

I am creating this topic for question about the forum and rules. To start, why aren’t we supposed to ‘necro’ threads? As I see it, putting more relevant information in one thread makes that easier to find that info, since it is all in one topic instead of about 100. Does it have to do with internet/connection speed? I know that here is a similar topic to this, but no one really gave a good answer, except that it was common on other forums. Ironically, I can’t post on that thread, since it is too old, but I am still wondering.

It’s very common in forums so you could probably go read about it anywhere else if it’s not detailed properly here. Simply put, it’s much better to have current and on-going topics appearing for visitors of the forum. It can get very confusing when threads with discussions from years ago are suddenly popping up because they tend to have lots of out-of-date information/opinions that are irrelevant or will mislead people.

Common sense says that of course some topics are perfectly fine to “necro”. However, ones that are not at all relevant today like the threads asking for a certain monster to be featured are obviously better left alone.

I think the whole “don’t necro on forums” started because “spam” on old threads would make it very difficult to filter through threads to the current relevant ones. Forums usually have a few topics being discussed at a time but not a huge number. If there are triple the number because people are posting on random threads from the past they’ve found too it will be very confusing for anyone trying to see what it important right now.

I’m not always the best at detailing the points in a structured way but you can see a few there in the paragraphs above. I find on some forums the moderators can be a bit overzealous: closing all threads that are 2 weeks old or taking action against people who necro any thread, immediately closing any thread that gets necro-ed. This forum was a little bit like that when I first joined when we had a bunch of moderators ruling the show. Personally, I only do anything about it if it’s a very misleading thread that is necro-ed, a person keeps doing it, the necro is a low content post or too many have been done at one time.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

I have noticed it has been getting a lot less strict around necro’s