Android vs. Apple

I can live with this; after all, it all comes down to preference, so on to a new topic:
PLAYSTAION 4 VS XBOX ONE!!!

Super Nintendo!

Make a new thread for that if you really want to discuss it

I SUBMIT!!! *cowers*

Lol ok…

I’ll admit I didn’t read the rest of this topic (lack of time), but I’ll post my opinion on the matter.

I prefer iOS over Android. And here’s why:

1. User-friendly. It’s easy to use. I love the user-interface, very elegantly designed. You can use Siri to do almost anything with your voice (great while driving especially), it’s very easy to launch apps and change settings (even Siri can change settings, too). 

2. Only one choice. One thing I dislike about Android is that there are too many choices. I have to pick some features and lose out on others depending on which phone I get. I like how with iPhone, it’s one device that keeps getting better and better. I don’t have to pick a different one that may be better in some areas but worse in other areas if one comes out. 

3. Better integration. iPhone is well-integrated with my iPad and Mac, which has a great deal of advantages.

4. Optimization. Let’s face it, Apple’s iPhone 5S has far worse hardware specs than most Android phones, and yet it is right up there with the best Android devices in speed (and even faster than many of them). Check out the statistics on that. Apple is amazing when it comes to optimization.

And since Apple doesn’t have to put all that money into expensive hardware, it can put the money into things that are more useful. 

1. Camera. iPhone camera is amazing, end of discussion. And many professional photographers even use the iPhone’s camera over their professional cameras in many situations. (I read some articles about that, actually). And part of me is a photographer… 

2. App store. Nothing more needs to be said here.

3. Fingerprint sensor. I mean, come on. Time is valuable. Every time you use your finger to unlock your device or buy an app from the app store, you save a little more time that you would have spent typing in passwords. That adds up over a while.

4. Usefulness. Apple doesn’t load the iPhone with every possible feature, because it realizes people won’t use many of those features. All they do is load the device up and make it less smooth and elegant feeling (and more laggy), and don’t contribute to the experience of using the device. Apple puts features people will actually find useful, rather than packing it to the brim with every possible feature.

5. More protected. I’ve dropped an iPhone down into a lake before, and I’ve dropped an android phone down into a lake before. I know, I’m clumsy. Thing is, the Android phone was totally broken and the iPhone was working beautifully without a single problem. Yes, after being submerged in water. I’ve dropped iPhone from a second story floor onto hardwood, barely a scratch in it. 

Android phones are weak and break easily. iPhones are much more sturdy (at least in my experience, but I can’t speak for everyone here). Oh, yeah, and iPhones are pretty much free from viruses and other such issues.

1. It has control center - which is great. Find my iPhone which is great. Find my friends - great. Great photos app. Great notes/calendar app. Safari’s iCloud keychain is very, very nice (I use that constantly). Nothing like not having to remember your passwords and credit card numbers, and having them synced across all the devices. It has a great mail app, calendar app. Great messages app. 

2. Well-done notification center. 

3. Swipe down to do a spotlight search (which can even search the internet).

4. SIRI. If you don’t use Siri, you really should. It’s fantastic. Open up apps. Play music. Call people. Tell it to wake you up in the morning. See the score of the sports game you didn’t get to watch. Text people. FaceTime people. Set up meetings. Get directions. Tweet on twitter. Post on Facebook. See which movies are playing. Set a reminder. Email people. See the weather. See the stocks. See information about contacts. Find where your friends are. Write notes. Change settings. Search the web. Ask for information. What can’t Siri do?

Oh, and there’s dictation to type what you speak. 

I could keep going. I’m sure that Android has a lot of these features as well, and you could go through my list saying: well Android has that, or Android has that, or Android has [this alternative], etc.

But the question is… what does Android have that iPhone DOESN’T have, that makes it so much better to you?

My ideal mobile operating system:

1. Android levels of visual customization

2. iOS levels of hardware optimization

3. SIRI, I’ve yet to find a more useful and active voice recognition feature

4. iOS 7 notification centre, the one thing I prefer in iOS 7 over iOS 6 and I really, really love the daily overview function

5. Android app functionality. I realise the iTunes App Store is slightly ahead but I’ve never really noticed it. Also, one big reason for this: emulators, I <3 them.

6. iOS levels of integration between devices.

My ideal phone:

An easily upgradable one with the build-quality of the HTC One and the camera of the Xperia Z1 with the speakers of the HTC One.

Oh, right, the visual customization of Android. Personally, I don’t see the usefulness of that feature or why I would want to visually customize my iPhone more than it already is. It looks beautiful to me. But, that’s just me. 

“the build-quality of the HTC One”

Super bulky? I don’t know, I like the sleek, slim design of the iPhone. Bigger screen space has its uses, but for that I would get an iPad Mini :).

“and the camera of the Xperia Z1”

​We should note that software plays quite an important role in camera quality, too. Apple is good in this area. iPhone 5S doesn’t have the megapixels that other Android phone cameras have, but it has a lot of software that can add a lot of quality to pictures that are taken.

Part of my problem is this:

They’re too expensive for what they’re making the IPhone and iPad for.

They make them as cheap as possible and then sell them for significantly more than what it should be.

Don’t get me wrong, everyone needs to make a profit somewhere along the way and I understand that completely but there’s a point to where you should be dumping that money back into the company to improve what you have.

Plus, I have a problem with people who worship the ground Apple walks on just because its Apple.

I don’t worship apple, but I tend to favor them, as I have had nothing but problems with android and windows, but not a single with ios or osx

APPLE: 6
ANDROID: 3

As long as people put up a reasonable argument as to why they like Apple products, then its fine

But if you’re just an Apple person because its “chic” and can’t really say why you like them, I’m going to be an unhappy person

I understand exactly, which is why I will also through my “don’t be a fandroid” just because you either dislike apple or just love google/android/samsung/htc/ect… For no real reason, point up.

“They make them as cheap as possible and then sell them for significantly more than what it should be.”

Cheap as possible? Seems to me they use quality materials and quality software. I’m not sure what’s so cheap.

And on the note of “liking something for [some silly reason]”, Android companies have put a lot into advertising Android as the “cool” phone and iPhone as the “uncool” phone, and you see a lot of people say “Android is more cool, that’s why I like it.”

So we definitely should apply the same principles back to Android as well.

To be clear, I don’t dislike Android. I’ll be developing for it as well. But given the choice for a personal phone, I’d choose iPhone for the reasons I listed in an above post.

Exactly, Though the nokia commercial does make me chuckle…

Build-quality doesn’t necessarily mean the same size and form factor, however I do feel the HTC fits the curve of my hand much better than the iPhone, which I personally find kind of uncomfortable. By build quality, I mean it feels sturdy and reliable and although the iPhone has research pumped into its materials and design manufacturing processes, again, it just doesn’t give me the same feeling.

True, software means a lot, but I’ve used both the iPhone 5S and the Xperia Z1, and specifically the camera. Sure, th iPhone does well, especially the 5S which is leagues ahead of its predecessors, but the sensor itself in the Z1 is much larger leading to better photos in all light situations, and importantly, low-light. The Nokia 1020, however, may have an even better camera but it’s implementation is garish and don’t even get me started on the Galaxy S4 Zoom which just looks like abad boardroom joke actually made production.

Honestly, I could speak tomes of how much I like the Xperia Z1. The entire thing is quite remarkable both in terms of hardware and software. It screams with power and has some incredible display technology. The camera and it’s software simply blows me away and I absolutely love the feature where it takes a tonne of photos in one second. After using it, I fell in love with it and I’ve never really felt that with any phone before.

Well, if i ever where to go android, i would have to go be a sony fanboy with the xperia’s anyway, gotta love sony :smiley:

From what I’ve read on various sites (googling Xperia Z1 vs. iPhone 5S), the Xperia display isn’t really better than the iPhone’s display. The camera is only slightly better (but nothing significant), and as far as speed, the iPhone 5S seems to stack up even with worse hardware specs.

It does have a bigger screen, but I don’t think that’s a big selling point for someone like me (though it definitely would be for many people). 

I think it still comes down to software in the end. Android software vs. iOS software. 

Same here^ 

Just saying that i fanboy all over sony and nintendo… childhood for the win!!!

The software is my favourite part about he display technology, they have a incredible algorithm that creates detail in photos and unreal-time video where it’s required to make full use of the screen and lots of other fancy retouching stuff.

A big selling point for me is that it’s waterproof. Okay, might not be a big thing for most people, but I coach swimming and am always kind of nervous keeping my phone on me in case I were to slip or something. I also just like the fact I can just wash dirt off or whatever. It’s just one of those little things I wish would make it to more phones.

I don’t know if iPhone is actually considered waterproof, but my experience shows it to be. Like I said, I’ve dropped them down into lakes and they have sunk to the bottom.

Well, okay, just one time I did that (I’m not THAT clumsy). And, again, it has worked beautifully since then. 

In all fairness, that was an iPhone 5 and not an iPhone 5S. So I can’t speak for the 5S. Maybe the fingerprint sensor would get ruined or something.