Abyss Soldier Myst. Is he worth it?

I’m getting my tenth 6* ticket tomorrow, and I’ve had my eye on this guy for a few weeks now. He seems to be the best AS yet, with guaranteed 100 TU critical focus damage as long as bond’s turned on, along with the obvious benefit that camouflage offers. On top of that, a solid protect counter to use if his camo goes down, and immediate sweeping with bloodfury to free him of any further conditions. I have all the AS’s so far(except poward obviously), and there’s 4 more on the way that we can’t identify just yet, very real possibility that there’s one with just the ability AS’s need in order to stand out. There’s lots of opportunity to synergize, especially with Guardian since he hardly has much merit otherwise.

I’m aware that flocco is considered the superior choice, but the thing is flocco doesn’t have a timer on him, far as I can tell he’s here to stay pretty much forever. There’s no telling how long it’ll take for poward and myst to return after they disappear. Besides, flocco has become very common as of late, while very few people have myst, so people are less likely to be prepared for the latter.

I haven’t seen many people discussing him yet, would kind of like to hear more opinions. Clearly buffbuffalo and poward weren’t worth so many tickets, but imo myst is making a convincing argument.

1 Like

How many other Abyssoldiers do you have? Because if you’ve got a couple, then I’d definitely go for it.

EDIT: I see that you already answered my question. In that case, go for it; drop every last ticket you have on it. I’m kinda pissed off that I’m short myself, otherwise I’d snatch it up in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I betcha flocco is a big part of the reason so few people have gotten Myst. A bunch of people saved up for flocco and all got him around the same time, and now that myst has shown up they’re all out of tickets lol. That’s my theory at least, predicated on the sharp increase in flocco’s presence lately

I’m not sold on Myst.

Abyssoldiers simply won’t stand up to legendaries in PvP, so I doubt any veteran with a decent collection will run them outside of special rules. By themselves they can work nicely in certain teams. Myst has its place as a decent sweeper in any team that can stealth it, at least for the first kill. It’s good for 10 cost but again not as good as what you can get in a legendary.

I’d love to own it, but in reality I wouldn’t use it that much so it would be a big waste of 10x 6* tickets. However, that’s just talking for myself. For someone with tickets to spare or who are looking for a 10-cost sweeper then it is a decent grab.

No kidding, you’re comparing a Super Epic to a legendary. Next you’ll be telling me that it’s inferior to a mythic.

1 Like

Then let’s take a look at it next to another Super Epic who has a very similar function

Well it’s no Voidress that’s for sure :wink:

I guess comparing it so harshly to legendaries is a bit much.

So both of these mons provide a very similar function in what they can offer to a team, but also a bit different. Both boast a Sneak Attack function, although the FD is easier to fulfill as it has Stealthy Entrance, instantly meeting its requirements to kill. Myst has the passive of Camoflauge which is arguably better, but has to be coupled with another AS on the field to get its camo. It also has to be the only Water element on your field AND cannot produce it’s own Stealth outside of its passive, where compared to the FD it can provide Stealth to itself which is a boon. True Hit is not a bad move but Myst does not have Excessive Force and for me personally without Excessive Force it may as well just be a lesser form of a Bloodmove. FD has Bloodfury after it has gotten its Stealth Kill, a fantastic ability that does not have a restriction like True Hit and gets stronger with each kill and Myst mimics that with a Bloodfury of his own, but again it is a SOLO move, meaning restrictions.

Both have pros and cons but for me the FD is more versatile and can fit better into teams without having to build around it where Myst can be just as good but requires careful team construction to make the most of it. Imo, without the restrictions alone and the ability to get itself going without help from other mons, the FD wins in comparison to Myst, so I would say save your tickets unless you really want to have all the Abyss Soldiers and roll for FD Daffodil instead.

Just my opinion.

1 Like

I do have daffodil, have become well accustomed to his strengths and weaknesses. From my experience, his most prominent weakness is getting his stealth disrupted, whether by poison or a poking tool. It’s quite annoying having to continually reset with a 70 TU move or, worse still, not being able to reset at all. That’s the biggest reason Myst interests me, the security of it. Camo can’t get messed up in those ways, as long as the AS part of my team doesn’t get wiped instantly he’ll be able to get to work immediately without any setbacks. And true hit may be limited by lack of piercing(it’s basically the same as sneak attack when you think about it), but it’s able to hit anything on the field. Surely there’s at least one able to go down in one hit. It’s a far better backup plan than death sentence, that’s for sure.

Honestly I don’t feel like there’s a whole lot else for my tickets to go to… sure, I could get Dusi, but idk, maybe I’m just adverse to the idea of using him… he’ll still always be there though, unlike myst. There’s just not much besides that, deo/zib/stratus/baha aren’t especially tempting, and I don’t feel like there’s much jank I can pull with the special rocks.

Sneak attack ignores protectors , isn’t it ?

Yeah. Admittedly it make true hit slightly redundant, but I still appreciate having an option should he become isolated.

1 Like

A lovely analysis on them both Cell. The higher defence on Myst is the one bit you didn’t really talk about and I think that does make a big difference. Also, as @Lucrayzor says with the stealth being possible to re-apply on Flutterdrake Daffodil the TU is 100 (not 70 Lucrayzor, easy to forget) which is very hard to do as in 100TU it’s so easy for an opponent to remove it. If Daffodil doesn’t get a kill on its first turn then it will really struggle. It’s probably best to use with other monsters that can give it stealth to ensure it can get sweeping.

I think to compare them:

• Flutterdrake Daffodil works by itself but can be shut down if you’re unlucky so does better with support.
  • Abyssoldier Myst needs more support (either other Abyssoldiers or something to stealth it) but the payoff is bigger with either a camouflaged sweeper that sweeps at 100/110TU rather than 130TU or a very tanky monster that sweeps at 110TU.

I think it’s a case where Flutterdrake Daffodil looks a tiny bit better on paper but Abyssoldier Myst is quite a bit better when fitted into teams that work with it. As long as the SOLO restriction doesn’t cause you trouble in the team building then it stands above.

1 Like

I figure one other water mon on the opposite end of the team is probably safe enough, rare that they’ll end up together and if they do there’s still true hit. The other one being behind myst is definitely better since myst is pretty much guaranteed to be high priority, so he’ll be gone by the time the other one shows up. It also really helps that there aren’t any bad water type tokens.

This Christmas maybe we’ll see Evil Yuki tokens :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I agree with your point and that is more or less what I was getting at is that properly built around both are great while Myst is a bit better Daffodil can, to an extent, function on it’s own. I have a small collection of Abyssoldiers atm and for me they have been working better Solo with Lone Fish being applied, but since they are still releasing new AS they will probably form a powerful squad.

1 Like

I’d agree with that spot on.

Glad to hear that the Abyssoldiers are working better by themselves, I theorised that’s how they’d be but haven’t actually tested them properly yet. I’m still waiting to see if we get a stun counter Abyssoldier. So far it’s a lot of sweepers and no stun protection besides a stun immune fast give turner. They simply won’t work as a squad if they’re all sweepers with no stun protection and minimal support.

If we get a stun counter abyssoldier it’ll be locked behind a 20 ticket paywall in the shop.

4 Likes

You should get Stratus

Well then the best advice is to save your tickets rather than spend them on Abyssoldier Myst. Case closed and this thread can be locked :wink:

2 Likes