My proposed fix for Dungeon Challenge

Tumultuous as this forum can get, I think we can all agree on one thing… Dungeon Challenge is too damn hard. It wasn’t always this bad, 90-100 used to be quite doable so long as you have a workable strategy. But then along came mythics in general, a host of scary piercing, immunities and lethal revenge options, and generally a whole lotta sticky stuff that can easily break strategies down. It’s basically harder than Showdown Tower, Whale’s Treasure and Game of Hordes combined at this point. Even with shiny new options like mojinator and vigzairid, I can barely make it to 95 without falling apart. Simply nerfing the monster spawns seems like a bit of a lame solution, cheapening the satisfaction of victory… so what option does that leave us with? Buffing the player’s capabilities, of course.

Enter my solution: companion monsters. I hand-picked 3 specific monsters that have just the tools to bail you out big time in certain scenarios(also makes a nice little 5-7 star progression hue hue). Each companion will have an accompanying battle alongside the torches and shortcuts that you need to pay tickets and beat in order to obtain them. Once you have them, you’ll gain the ability to call on that specific monster once per expedition, putting it up next in your reinforcements(or perhaps giving you the choice to select an ally to be sent back and replaced outright) as a get-out-of-jail-free card to get you past a particularly frightening combo that’d otherwise rip you to shreds. Here’s my picks:

Aviaeronix: I genuinely can’t think of a single monster better suited for this feature. For one thing, he has roaring entrance to guarantee that he’ll get his say. And with that turn he can use payback killer to shut down DR, one of the worst things you can possibly encounter, or he can use wallbreaker to deal with a pesky protector, or perhaps a stun absorber to open the enemy up to stun. You’re gonna loooove having this guy around when a Skeleviathan or Dragulus rears their ugly heads.

Mojinator: This guy is unrivaled in his ability to provide instant support. Again, roaring entrance, and he can either use mist to purify and/or protect you from a devastating multi target attack, or salvation to bring all your wounded mons back from the brink.

Don Rilla: This one’s like, literally just a hitman. Need some annoying twerp dead, he’s got ya covered. Though he’ll definitely need a sizeable stat boost to be any use against the hyper buffed enemies, and perhaps he could use a bit of roaring/rapid action too.

It probably doesn’t need to be these specific monsters, but you get the idea. I’m thinking it’d be 3 smaller buttons in place of the friend monster button, and during your turn, you can press it to summon the mon in question, and maybe select an ally to be swapped out to make way so you don’t have to rely on sendback or a casualty to get them into action. The average player reallllllly needs some kinda edge in order to beat this newer scarier DC, and I think this would be the simplest, most elegant solution. Opinions?

6 Likes

Change the title to “Lucrayzor’s proposed fix” then we will be all good fam.

1 Like

So I was thinking about this too (at Floor 90 for the past few days, havent bothered pushing forward much) and a thought I had was to integrate a Win Streak system that counts the number of battles you win total, not just the floors you clear. The Win Streak wouldn’t have actual rewards for In Game use, instead it would have Escape Tickets, something that can be used to run from any battle once, but once used the Escape Ticket goes away. The battle Escaped from doesnt disappear so you cant use this to clear floors or get past a battle that is blocking the only way you can go, but it would give you a preview of what you would fight and let you adjust accordingly and also let you avoid random encounters where you could avoid if you had known they were there.

Now I’m also not talking anything crazy, like 5 Escape Tickets max, but each ticket takes like 10-20 Wins to obtain.

Thoughts?

What about preserving the team state through the whole journey? For example if I activated a blood skill on the first battle I carry it with me to the next one, all the cloned monsters like doomengin and cosmodragon are still there, if the team is accelerated it stays acceleratod etc…

2 Likes

I agree with a more clever fix rather than simply restricting the monster pool the enemy teams draw from.

A companion seems like a good idea, sending back a teammate to have them in the battle.

I also like the idea of each floor at the end you get to revive one monster on your team with full HP.

I’ve brought up the difficulty with the Devs a bunch of times and basically there’s nothing wrong in my mind or theirs with it being a challenging event. What I really don’t like as a player is that when you play it the battles are totally down to RNG, even if you build the perfect team. For a strategy game it’s fine to have a bit of that and I love the gameplay of DC in general but when 90% of the time you’ll meet fine teams and 5% problematic and 5% you lose 4+ monsters it’s very frustrating to get through floors 90-100 when each attempt takes a good 20 minutes.

I think halving the buff of monsters would be enough. The amountof battles you get in are more than enough to make the event hard. There is no need of facing buffed monsters

But is the buff really the problem? When you meet a tough team it will still kill your monsters.

I think the problem has to be the RNG element… taking things out of our control too much to the point it’s frustrating.

It is that, there are monsters that when buffed, on shuts any of yours. If this wouldn’t happen, you could hold the damage and then recover the damaged monster’s LP

Okay, I find that my team can even get wrecked going from 56-62 where the buff level is 1.07x or 1.16x. Meet enough stun converter/counter monsters, insomnia poison monsters or camouflage monsters and they mess up the usual strategies we use to control the battlefield.

1 Like

Yes. That’s totally right. Luck will always be an important factor in this event. I’m just proposing to lower the difficulty a little bit

Is true is the hardest event ever but definitely there is certain settings that can increase the percentage of win.
Fot example my Heavens, Null, Nova, Prismegasus front still can take care of 80% of given combinations.

A line-up I’m loving this time is Gallio (s), Shiva, Ashterios and Djinzar.

Gallio stuns by 150s. Anything not stunned can be killed by Ashterios. Swift faststrike is a guaranteed one-shot on anything despite the buff. Shiva charges itself and keeps everyone alive if needed. Djinzar GT to itself, heals whatever then gets a guaranteed kill. Gallio’s double survivor+ also one-shots the vast majority of stuff.

If enemy teams are stunnable it’s a joke… easy win. If not then this is flexible enough to easily win in most cases. I went 5 floors first try doing many tough battles coming out well but then lost Shiva and right after that met a bunch of horrible teams. Hopefully next attempt I’ll at least hold onto Shiva because it works well with many FL combos I want to do.

Switching Djinzar for Heavenswyrm is super brutal… but relying more on the enemies being stunnable. If they’re not it suffers.

Looks good, regular Gallio did the trick for me but I’m now realizing the event as is will be harder for newer players since regular Gallio will be removed from the regular egg. I know there are other strategies but I feel Gallio was one of the key monsters pretty much everyone has eventually. I guess there’s galvbane and drakozord but it’s not the same

So for dungeon challenge, is our little character going down stairs deeper into the dungeon, or up stairs emerging from a dungeon?

The reason i ask is because the floor numbers start at 1 and go up from there

Plz answer me @Dev_VKC

2 Likes

Just let us capture monsters found in dungeons

3 Likes

Pfffhahahaha