My issue with the latest Update

So, after sleeping over it I still think something went terribly wrong with this update which is a real shame because most balance changes were spot but still three things didnt go too well in my opinion.

1.) The new potting system

Honeslty, this is really the thing I am most disappointed with. I am playing this game since 2015. Right from the beginning the legend potions have been the holy grail of the game. They were so incredibly rare and hard to get, that you felt special everytime you were able get your hands on one. In Accordance to the level of the rarity everybody was very careful when distributing the Potions. In some cases, battles were decided by the simple fact that both players ran the same monster in the FL but the monster of Player B had more potions on it. After a while the forum was able to figure out how potions exactly worked (There was a thread by buckingham or lochi, official information was hard to get back then). Shortly after that it became common sense that plus 5 is the best amount of pots for most monsters. You can believe me if I tell you that four years (with a 1 year break) is quite a lot of time to get most of your monsters to plus 5. So when I woke up two days ago I had to realise that all of my +5 monsters are now +3 monsters again which basically destroys my progress of a year or more. Without any compensation. I am sorry but this is not acceptable. And you cant compensate this with “We will be giving out more potions”? No, why should I grind for more potions just for it to take months so I can get to the point I was at two days ago anyway. Its like walking home from work and when I am almost home my boss kindnaps me, forces me to get into his car, drives me back to the office, kicks me out of the car and says: Theres a bicycle around the corner, if you use it, you will save some time on your way home.

2.) Bomboid

The problem before the nerf was that the combination of BombFlocc killed every rounded/standard atk and full atk monster of the types earth and storm. Thats basically 60-70 % of the monsters of those arechetypes. The thing is: This hasnt changed. And because of that this nerf is useless. The issue was that bomboid basically pushes earth and storm out of the meta because 70 % of the monsters wont survive the bomb flocc combo. A nerf should have the goal to make sure that this isnt happening any more. But the nerf had basically 0 (!) impact on the problem. Zero. Thats not how you fix a problem. Sherloid got nerfed hard for so much less but bomboid remains fully intact after recieving a no effect nerf. Its a (now) 5 cost monster. I know its only purpose is to die and do damge but not at the cost of making two elements almost unplayable. The best way would be to remove the elemental damage but if that is not possible, then his damage needs to be further nerfed. Maybe he will end up being a joke but better a 5 cost monster ends up being a joke than two of six elements being a joke because of a 5 cost monster. (I know Flocc is part of the problem at least hes a legend).

3.) The dolphs

So from all suggestions this one was the least suitable to fix the problem. As I once said: I think we can all agree that dolphreeze was an S Tier Monster before. And we can all agree that Dolphoenix wasnt very good before. We can also agree on that the change that was made to Phreeze (Diaminoids now being the SS instead of the passive) wasnt actually a real nerf because now you have more control and play Phreeze even in raw teams. And even if you think it was a slight nerf, there was no reason to compensate him for that. Now with Dolphin Bond this very good monster gets stun immunity (one of the best passives in the game) and 50 % stat boost (which makes his times up kill everything, which is actually a huge buff because he wasnt able to kill tanky chrono monsters before). And now heres the question: Why would you do that? Dolphreeze does not need Dolphin bond. Especially not if it compensates his only two weaknesses (stun and slight lack of fire power) on the other hand dolphoenix (who was way worse before) has a far smaller benefit from dolphin bond than dolphreeze. I think the goal of dolphin bond should be to make a weak monster viable (phoenix) if it is paired with a very strong monster (phreeze). Not to make a very strong monster stronger when it is paired with a useless monster the user couldnt care less about. Dolphin Bond should be a very powerful passive but Dolphreeze shouldnt have dolphin bond, only Phoenix should have dolphin bond.

Sherlock signing out

15 Likes

Literally look at the older threads how people said dolphreeze was sometimes a liability because how you were forced to summon those.

When I came back to the game, went into pvp, and saw dolphreeze activate his SS, I was like “why the hell did they buff dolphreeze? They must have nerfed its other things” little did I know he was also pretty much a boss monster with stun immunity also.

That SS can not be 1 TU and let you summon TWO diamoinds at will at any moment of the game.

I would also like to take this time and ask for more bond buffs for older and “bad” monsters comboing with each other instead of someone’s suggestion like “unicorn bond”.

6 Likes

That sums it up pretty well. One thing I’d like to suggest is that since most are in agreement that everything outside of the new bonus potion system was pretty spot on with the exception of maybe two or three balance changes, it might just be best to scrap the new bonus potion system as a failed idea unless they plan to build on it in a way that will make it not a huge pain in the ■■■ to almost the entire playerbase. The bomboid and dolphin nerfs were in the right direction but arguably not severe enough. It makes sense the devs would want to avoid accidentally nerfing a monster into the ground.

1 Like

Your publication really is very good, I agree with everything, except for the part of the dolphins (Do not misunderstand me, it is not an attack on you) I think that the dolphins are still strong in a team of cost 100, I think that It is much more compensated with a team of cost 206 in which you can put more options to counter this duo. Without going any further, in the last qualifying PvP they did not dominate the meta game. I hope I was clear! Cheers :slight_smile:

Have you already tried to Kinslayer Dolphereez with Glaceon? Well I will tell you the result, Dolphereez will survive, and this is it.
50% buff it means that Dolphereez has 6k attack and 6k defense.
Regardless the team cost this is still a huge huge buff. (Was 8k now is 6k)

The truth on DB is that is a passive made as a counter for mythics, but because of the quantity of dolphins around that result totally unbalanced against legendaries setups.

1 Like

Lol as I said in my thread, Dolphreeze got off hella easy. Let’s compare the dolphs with a certain other pair of legends with a similar gimmick: Solblaze and Lunartic.

Viability minus the bond perks

S&L: one is outdated and generally underwhelming, the other is a bit of a sleeper(hardy har) but still struggles to get his mojo going.
D&D: one struggles to get going yet can make a real impact in the right circumstances, and the other… a very oppressive, easy S tier.

What the bond perks offer

S&L: 1 active skill for each member that each require a turn before they can be used(very slow monsters, keep in mind), one of which takes time away from other moves to be used. They’re very good skills to be sure, but won’t always turn the tide of the battle quite so drastically.
D&D: 2 passive skills(arguably 3) for each member that do not require a turn for them to come into play. Both are extremely notable, allowing them to tank a slew of normally fatal moves, remove any ambiguity on whether certain moves of theirs will kill, and of course eliminate the need for stun protection to be established near them.

So yeah… you tell me which pair got the better deal.

Come to think of it… there’s another comparison I’d like to make, that honestly rustles my jimmies even harder: Dolphreeze’s diamondoid summon skill vs. Prismegasus’s diamondoid summon skill.

Prisma’s “advantages” over Dolph

• Summons 3 instead of 2, no small benefit I suppose.

• Putting them in the back can benefit fodder teams. Sure… for the same amount of equivalent value that a zero star monster can produce. I mean, if you think whatever move you’re using up front is worth sacrificing a mini aegis later down the road, by all means.

• It’s not a secret skill, so it’s not locked behind that extra unlock price and cost increase…? Yeah, I’m officially grasping at straws now. The SS he does have is still damn good so I’m pretty sure I’d be unlocking it anyway, since there’s a whole lot more to his moveset than just diamondoids. At this point, it’s the best “perk” I can think of lol.

And now…

Dolph’s advantages over Prisma

• It’s instant. Yeah, that tends to make quite a difference, doesn’t it? Seems to pretty much make up for everything Prisma has to offer all by itself to be honest, but we’re far from done.

• It’s at the front of reinforcements instead of the back, for which I feel a much stronger case can be made. His summons jump into the action immediately, potentially soaking up a whopping 4 hits, as opposed to being relegated to the endgame, by which point all of your best assets may already be gone, leaving them with an unsalvageable fight.

• It’s on a 6 star monster rather than 7. Meaning you don’t have to hatch the monster 4 times just to get access to this skill. I thought higher tier mons were supposed to have superior moves :thinking:

• No link restriction. True, linking is Prisma’s specialty, but there’s still some amount of constraint to it. You have to either tailor your strategy to Prisma’s comfort, or run the risk of being unable to use the move at all. Either way, not real preferable to just… being able to use the move no questions asked.

The craziest part of all is… Dolph is ALMOST A YEAR OLDER then Prisma. A legendary that came out in ’18 has a move that’s pretty much undeniably better than that of a mythic that came out in ’19. Let that sink in.

In fact we could’ve made this comparison the moment Prisma came out, back when dolph’s skill was still a passive. How well do you think Prisma would’ve held up then?

So, yeah… there’s something to think about I suppose.

3 Likes

Great summary! You forgot to mention that Dolph basically got compensated for this “nerf” by getting stun immunity and a stat buff when played with Phoenix. It’s like they don’t even took anything away from him but made him almost untouchable to compensate for that.

4 Likes

Everything about the update is good except the Bonus poition changing the bonus system is a big step backward of the game

3 Likes