Abyss Soldiers Rework

Does anyone else feel like this is the most underwhelming of all the SE archetype based mons we have?

Consider the Thlugs. Not the most diverse of the archetypes, but with proper team building, they become one of the most threatening forces in the game currently with powerful sweeping moves that ignore Hold Ground and Shield, 100% guaranteed Sleep on the enemy team, solid Team Turn abilities and all of which are next to ridiculous to stop due to their excellent shared passive of being immune to Stun, Sleep, and Poison.

Consider the Flutter Drakes (F.D.) archetype. Able to stand solidly on their own with no passives that require another member of the archetype, only a single of their four moves, the other 3 of which often work perfectly well on their own. When placed together, I view it similar to having a Legend gain its SS, not necessarily a needed ability for all, but for some it can make or break the game. A solid archetype boasting a myriad of strong entrance Passives and solid sweeping moves as well as functioning as great support with or without their brethren, from a general standpoint F.D. can be viewed as the strongest SE archetype.

Then we get to the Abyss Soliders (A.S.). I have been acquiring a number of these buggers from events the past months, and I cant help each time feeling incredibly excited at the announcement and initial vibe of the newest A.S., but then severely underwhelmed once it is in my possession. The entire archetype has more in common with their brethren than the other SE archetypes in that they all share a single passive that let’s them work alone in the form of Lone Fish, requiring them to be the only A.S. on the field (this includes the opposing team) and generally giving a boon to their stats. This seems fine and dandy as it would appear to make their stats similar to that of a legend. The downside here is found typically in their movesets that often do not compliment well. They all share the same dual attack of Ultra+element, a stand alone move, and 2 solo moves that require it to be the only monster of that type on your side of the field. The issue created here is the immense restriction you now have if you want your psuedo legend to carry any weight, being able to fulfill the SOLO need for their more powerful/useful moves by having them be the only type of their kind on your board, and keeping Lone Fish active by ensuring their is no other A.S. on the field. This is the playstyle to use if utilizing an A.S. without any of its clan and you must keep these requirements met last your Fish becomes absolutely dead weight by violating those restrictions.

Now let’s say you want to use them in a team aspect, working with other members of their archetype. This seems to be promoted by their other shared passive: Bond. This passive varies from Soldier to Soldier, but they all have the same requirement of granting a boon to your A.S. if it shares the field with another A.S. and typically the Bond Passives are where the true cake of their abilities lie, strongly supporting team playstyle.

Looking at these in this light, for me at least, it is obvious their are some crucial flaws with this archetype. The passives that are meant to allow the soldiers to either fly together or alone actively work against eachother. A good example of this is the two newer A.S. mons, A.S. Hill and A.S. Des.

A.S. Hill has a Bond passive that let’s him regenerate 800hp every turn, thus ensuring his Confident Strike ability is able to deal maximum damage each time it gets a turn and keeping him healthy to shoot off SOLO Bloodcrave once he gets a kill. The issue is that while Bond is active with another A.S. on board, he loses the stat boosts from Lone Fish and it makes it incredibly hard to actually get a kill with him without the boost even with full strength Confident Strikes. So let’s say you go the Lone Fish route and play him without other A.S. mons. While he now has the power to get a kill, he loses out on the health recovery and due to the abysmal speed of the A.S. archetype as a whole (not a single A.S. that I am aware of has a max speed stat over 60 without pots) he will be unable to use full strength Confident Strikes and will be arguably harder to use than with his comrades.

A.S. Des suffers a similar fate. His Bond passive gives him Death Revenge, a seemingly excellent resource for this archetype. He has SOLO Protect Teammates and SOLO Blood Duplicate/Blod Clone Next. Again, this seems great on paper. In practice, not so much. Again in part due to terrible speed the TU for both these SOLO moves is quite high and, without Lone Fish, his defenses cannot cope with even a couple of strong AoE attacks before he bites the dust, so most of the time you are forced to choose whether you want to make a clone or protect your teammates. So let’s say you take the clone route and in the time that takes, your opponent kills another of your mons, perhaps an A.S. since you are going the Bond route, and your second copy of A.S. Des comes in. Well, now you are kind of screwed, as your abilities that you need to use most (protect on your former Des and Clone on your new one) are SOLO moves so you now have 2 dead weight mons that cannot generate any real value because not only can you not make more, but you cant force your opponent to kill them either until they decide they are ready, basically making the fight a 2v4 simply for trying to play an archetype with its fellow comrades.

I dunno guys, in my opinion the A.S. feels by far the weakest of the SE archetypes and get severely overshadowed by not only the other SE archetypes but even by normal SEs and quite a few Epics and, more recently, the event rocks we have been getting through PvP. A handful of the A.S. have found SOME niche spots in things like poison teams but are often just a placeholder until the SE that does the job far better is hatched.

I know I’m not the only one who feels this way as I have seen many of you post with excitement about the newest A.S. coming out month after month only for it to fall quickly into obscurity once it is acquired.

I am proposing we discuss and come up with ideas to change this archetype and make it viable so that 1, it is not so restricting and 2, its passives dont keep being counterproductive. By trying to make these things able to do a little bit of everything they have become great at nothing.

The saying goes, “Jack of All Trades, Master of None,” and I feel that phrase kind of embodies this archetype.

While I agree that some of them are underwhelming and don’t seem to work with or without another Abyssoldier, it has to be said some of them are still awesome design wise especially when alone:

-Antistan. This one I like the most. Kills anything with faststrike, can also support with 130 Tu give turn and accelerate. While loses its 1 shot ability, acts as counter to stun when bond is active. All around great monster.

-Fokus. Very solid poison sweeper moveset with 130 TU double poison eater, albeit a little slow. Also gains Focus when bonded, which is very powerful. Solid monster.

-Bulwark. Good Megabomber when alone because of its super high defense and being surprisingly easy to set up in only 250 sec.

-Poward. Useful protector counter with or without bond.

-Breaker. Decent stun monster with retribution, actually better with the bond imo.

-Myst. Arguably the hardest to kill and easiest to set up when bonded.

I don’t know man, I kinda like at least these ones. I agree some of them might need tweaking but these are at least as good as any Fluttedrake or Thlug. The thlugs are unusable without each other except the team turn one and all of the Flutters except maybe Daffodil are much stronger with the pair. They don’t gain anything while being alone on the field, they usually lose their most powerful move. With Abyssoldiers you have always the option of turning them into tanks. So in my opinion their design is actually quite neat and lets us play around quite a bit depending on what we need in our teams.

Reading your message makes me feel like you want to use the lone side with bond side without downsides.

But this is a super epic monster so it’s normal that you can’t benefit from both passive WHEN both give huge boost to the monster.

Dev could create an abyss legendary monster that benefit from both the passive that would be fun to have :smile:

1 Like

Abyss soldiers are strong and quite powerful. They legitimately do not need a buff, you just need to teambuild around them more than the flutters. You can’t throw them into a team, because you have to plan for the elemental aspect to be able to use their solo moves.

1 Like

I think the point Katafish is getting at most of all is the Abyssoldiers feel like they should be doing more than they do.

Half of the Abyssoldiers are incredibly powerful for SEs when you use them as a stand alone solo monster in your team. The other half either need to be used with Abyssoldiers or their design doesn’t really work (A.S. Des being the best example).

I think the problem lies in them only having one passive (other than lone fish). Due to this, they don’t have much room to have a design that really works. The Devs also abstained from putting boring passives in there like stun absorber or sleep immunity that might’ve made them work better as a group. Early on I was hoping for one to have stun counter but then realised that if there was a super powerful passive like that on one people could just use two Abyssoldiers to have stun counter for their team, that would be too strong.

On the whole I like them and the concept is cool. It just would’ve been nice to see them work better as a group. With proper support from other monsters they can probably work well in teams.

They pair very well with link teams at least. Suppose you’re running link water, that means you can use up to 5 abyss soldiers, all with zero risk of getting their solo skills stuffed. Could stick in fokus, antistan, hill, breaker and guardian, each able to do their thing unrestricted. It’s something at least.

Ya I use them solo with no other A.S because it’s too hard to keep other A.S alive and also alone they get buffs that are crazy: A.S fokus killed dolphins with the dolphin bond being active and that made me smile a lot.

1 Like

Thanks for understanding more of what I was trying to get across. I had thought what I was saying was relatively concise but it was late at night so its fine.

I dont want the A.S. buffed guys, just a rework to their passives/move restrictions so they can work together as a team rather than their niche places in random teams. I keep looking forward to the next A.S coming out finding myself saying “this will be the one that brings them together and makes them work as a team” and it just never happens.

Like I said I dont really want them buffed, I would like to see their passives reworked and maybe have one of their SOLO moves stay a SOLO or even as a RAW and make the second one requiring another A.S. to be on the field similar to the F.D. and Thlugs.

I could get behind them having one SOLO move and one RAW move tbh. It would make them more powerful. On the flip side you could make one SOLO and the other one a normal move

1 Like

What if their Bond passive also removed SOLO restriction?

Imagine:
A.S. Guardian + A.S. Bulwark
A.S. Shock + A.S. Breaker
A.S. Des + himself

These comboes would be viable, and much more with other monsters

5 Likes

That legitimately would be fantastic

2 Likes

Shock and breaker would be OP together as SEs Excessive force DTS and shocking entrance as a SE would be too good, as much as it might sound amazing to have