Storyline Feedback-What did you think about the single-player story? WARNING: May contain spoilers

Hello everyone! Since most of you seem to have finished the single player campaign, we would like to know what you thought about its storyline. It will be difficult make modifications to Hunter Island’s story at this point, but we would love to hear feedback so that we can improve our storytelling for future games.

Did you like it? Was there something about it that you didn’t like? What moments were the most memorable? What moments weren’t particularly enjoyable?

Which characters did you like? Which characters did you dislike? Any characters that were just plain annoying?

How clear was the storytelling? Was there anything that was hard to grasp? Any logical inconsistencies that really bugged you? 

How were the conversations at the taverns? Were they interesting or helpful? Did it feel like a chore to go through them? 

How was the dialogue in the side quests? Did you like the quests with more dialogue or less? Did the side quests seem varied enough? Were there any particular side quests that you liked or disliked?

LOTS of questions.

The tavern dialogue needs to stay. NEEDS. It’s so helpful and puts a lot of the dots together.

Honestly, I would like to see the player do more of the talking than the tag along. The tag along just always seems to be…there with your every answer. What if you wanted to do something completely different?

Would you guys eventually do a good or evil path in the future? I’d love to have those choices.

Ill post more if I have anything else.

Thank you for the response! The questions are just there to help make the feedback more specific and detailed, and there’s no need to answer all of them (or any of them, for that matter). 

Multiple story paths and player choices within the storyline would be great, but my understanding is that such features would make bug testing much more difficult. Perhaps we can do multiple endings and such in the future if we can get more manpower. I would certainly like to.

Just there being a story line this time around was a big plus and it did gave me some enjoyment. It do make you feel more into the game. Though I´d actually have to play through the game one more time before I can make any solid statement about the storyline. The first time was just to find as many errors as possible and I didn´t really tag along the story that much this time around since it wasn´t my priority.

The part of the storyline I do remember most is from the desert. The “strong” man with all the lvl 1 monsters who thought he was the best (don´t remember his name). He made me smile since he just couldn´t understand why he didn´t win battles with such “strong” monsters.

Finding the side quest wasn´t hard since they gave you directions. And able to beat the same people over and over again even though they get stronger made you feel that you accomplish something. It´s a great feeling!

The sidequests I remember the most is in the latter Winterlands and on the Cresent Island because of the intense increasement of the difficulty. I love challenges!

The conversations inside the taverns were really helpful to help you find some of the rarer monsters. This is really nice for one like me who want´s to get every monster. I enjoyed “talking” to these people to see if there´s any new monster I need to know about. This was always the first thing I did in every new town I got to.

I agree with the Taverns; they work really well as flavor text and as hints for the player.

Giving the player a speakable voice would be a plus, but it needs to be done carefully. Once you do that, then the player’s character becomes someone other than the player him/herself. If your intention is for the player to feel like “This character I’m playing with IS me”, then by all means leave the player character mostly quiet except for key story moments. If your intention is for the player to feel like “This character I’m playing with IS NOT me”, then give the player character a voice an personality all their own.

Although, a simple way to handle the “multiple endings” concept is to give the player a choice as to their character’s background, I.e. do they come from poverty or wealth? Do they come from nomadic grassland tribes or a fishing village by the sea? Are they hot-tempered or cool-as-a-cucumber?

Whatever players choose ultimately determines their ending, which would give players some incentive to play through the story multiple times to see every ending. In fact, each choice may lead to variations on the main story for certain segments, all dependent on the answers to those initial questions.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts regarding the “multiple storyline” idea. Definitely doable, but probably for a future game.

Sorry, late response.

“Did you like it?”

Yes.

“Was there something about it that you didn’t like?”

Not that I know of.

“What moments were the most memorable?”

The end with the boss fight (Tiamat). Up to the end, I thought the story was kind of cheesy. But the end made it clear and made it not so cheesy anymore. I liked that.

“What moments weren’t particularly enjoyable?”

Losing so many times to those darn leviathans… oh, wait, we’re talking about the story. I can’t think of anything.

“Which characters did you like?”

All of them.

“Which characters did you dislike?”

I didn’t dislike any, but I didn’t have the right perspective either (I’m a game developer!) 

“Any characters that were just plain annoying?”

All the ones with grammar errors… but I think those got fixed :slight_smile:

“How clear was the storytelling?”

Quite… depending on what that means. 

“Was there anything that was hard to grasp?”

Looking at it from the perspective I have now, no.

“Any logical inconsistencies that really bugged you?”

Hm… I would have to go through again and pay more attention. How about that hard mode I suggested?

“How were the conversations at the taverns?”

Sometimes helpful, sometimes absolutely pointless.

“Were they interesting or helpful?”

Both.

Did it feel like a chore to go through them? 

There were only four typically. So no. Now if there were, say, 50-1000 of them, then yes it would be a chore.

“How was the dialogue in the side quests?”

Just fine.

“Did you like the quests with more dialogue or less?”

It didn’t matter to me.

“Did the side quests seem varied enough?”

Not really. 

“Were there any particular side quests that you liked or disliked?”

I liked ones that gave great rewards.

Yeah like you said, having choices would make the game very complex - hard to debug. But some day we’d like to do it.

Did you like it? 

Awwww, yeaah.

Was there something about it that you didn’t like?

Hm… not really. 

What moments were the most memorable?

Those with humor. :>

What moments weren’t particularly enjoyable?

I can’t think of any.

Which characters did you like?

I liked that guy with the team that wasn’t fully evolved. Fugar? Something like that, I think, which makes me ashamed that I can’t even remember my own character. I also like Dahag… because… well, I don’t know. He’s cute in a weird way. And those three bandit brothers. They were perfect.

Which characters did you dislike? 

Franz. Why? I have no idea. He just looks like an evil person. I kept expecting him to betray Leon and Leona, but he never did. So kudos to him.

Any characters that were just plain annoying?

Nah. They were all tolerable (even Franz).

How clear was the storytelling?

Pretty good!

Was there anything that was hard to grasp?

Not really. But maybe you can add a one liner that says something about the war at the beginning of the story. Of course it explains why later on but something like “I still can’t believe the king would declare war on us for such a greedy goal; he used to be so kind” could be informational.

Any logical inconsistencies that really bugged you? 

Nah. :>

How were the conversations at the taverns?

Well, “conversations.” They were more like tips, but I appreciated them. They added a really cool feature.

Were they interesting or helpful?

I imagine they could be helpful, although I knew most of the information they had beforehand. But yes, they are definitely interesting and provide insight into the story.

Did it feel like a chore to go through them? 

Of course not. I usually read them all, not because I had to but because I wanted to.

How was the dialogue in the side quests?

Very good!

Did you like the quests with more dialogue or less?

More. I enjoy reading and like games with a good, solid story (which HI nails.)

Did the side quests seem varied enough?

To be honest, no. It was mostly “duel him/her” or “go defeat this person/group of people/arkadions.” I believe I’ve heard something about this, but I’ll say it anyway: Maybe you can do a quest that asks you to catch an arkadion and bring it back? To make it harder, it can be something like “catch a rank B or higher jabby.”

Were there any particular side quests that you liked or disliked?

Liked? Hm, well, I really loved the Flamogun/Flamorai (I believe that’s what they are called) ones becaused they referenced back to Japanese culture. Really made my day to see their battle cries.

Disliked? The arkwing quest. I could handle the leviathan one but not the arkwing one. I’m not sure why.

_++_I would buy one of y’all’s multiple choice game, especially if it’s as good or better than HI. I am a HUGE fan (emphasis on HUGE) of multiple choice games. So good luck if you decide to make it.

++I also have no problem with your character being silent. Since HI is not a multiple choice game, a silent character give you to chance to make your character have their own personality, which I personally like.

I’ve queried a few people to get some feedback about the length of time it takes, and it seems that most players are finishing the game much faster than the 60+ hours of storyline.  

I don’t know if things were nerfed too much during beta or what.  The players I’ve talked to have finished in under 30 hours side quests and all.

I have to wonder if they’re really taking in the story at all at that speed though or if they’re just skipping through the dialogue just to say “Oh look, I finished it quicker than you”

I did a play through, skipped the dialogue and did it in 30 hours.